Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Haitian boxer Berto pulls out of fight

LAS VEGAS, Nevada — Andre Berto pulled out of next week's World Boxing Council welterweight title fight with Shane Mosley, saying the pain of dealing with the horrific earthquake has taken too big a toll on him emotionally.


Berto, whose parents are Haitian and represented Haiti in the Athens Olympics, said even though this was the biggest fight of his career he cannot continue to train.

"As a result of this disaster, I am mentally and physically exhausted and therefore I have no choice but to withdraw from my bout," Berto said.

The undefeated Berto was to defend his title against Mosley at the luxury Mandalay Bay resort in Las Vegas on January 30.

Mosley, who has held titles in three different weight classes, was to be his biggest test.

Berto, who has many relatives in Haiti, had been in training in Florida and was scheduled to arrive in Las Vegas on Wednesday.

But he said he could not go forward, despite the fight being an opportunity he has dreamt of since he was a boy.

"I lost several family members to the earthquake and after two days without word, was relieved to learn that my sister, Naomi and her daughter, Jessica survived, but were left homeless," said Berto, who has 25 straight wins and no losses.

"I have seen the pain in my parents' eyes as they attempt to understand what has happened to our homeland and recognize a place they once called home."

Berto was born in Miami but boxed for Haiti in the 2004 Olympics. He had been involved in charity and relief efforts in Haiti even before the killer earthquake hit.

Berto's decision could open the door for Mosley to fight someone like Floyd Mayweather, who lost out on a chance recently to fight Manny Pacquiao.

Mosley hasn't fought since stopping disgraced boxer Antonio Margarito a year ago.

"I'm disappointed that the fight has been called off, but I understand that Andre is going through a very difficult time," Mosley said. "My heart goes out to him, his family and the people of Haiti during the aftermath of this terrible tragedy. I'm sorry for the losses that Andre and all of the Haitian people are suffering. I have everyone in my prayers."

Source:AFP

No comments:

Post a Comment